There has been a lot of press recently about Vitamin D as a Super Nutrient with the ability to improve your mood, prevent cancer and even keep us youthful. We know that we get vitamin D from Sunlight, but what does it do and how do we get enough of it.
There are many benefits that we get from Vitamin D Such as:
- Strong teeth and Strong Bones – Vitamin D absorb phosphorous and calcium to build a strong bones and teeth. When you lack Vitamin D you have poor bone mineralization. You can see it in kids with knocked knees or bowed legs due to Vitamin Deficiency and poor bone mineralization. Osteomalacia is a precursor of osteoporosis and its a consequence of lack of vitamin D in adults.
- Strong Immune System – Vitamin D helps to keep your immune system strong, fights cancer and colds. There are some studies that have shown that people who receive less sunlight hours have a higher probability of getting cancer. Breast, lymphatic, Bowel and prostate cancers are linked to Vitamin D levels.
- Prevents Auto-immune Disease – Rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes and bowel disease are autoimmune diseases caused by Vitamin D deficiency.
- Mood – Vitamin D also has an important role in cognitive functions such as mood, thinking and memory. Even Seasonal depression is believed to be due to a lack of sunlight that causes an imbalance in neurotransmitters.
- Slow Aging – Vitamin D also helps to keep your skin healthy and prevent aging.
The truth is that is estimated that fifty percent of people may be deficient in Vitamin D with the elderly most at risk.
In recent years there has been an increase in Vitamin D deficiency due to people trying to prevent skin cancer and aging by avoiding sunlight. Sunscreen prevents Vitamin D from being absorbed by your body. You need to balance and take just enough sunlight to get enough vitamin D.
There are some foods that contain vitamin D such as eggs, salmon and tuna, but sunlight is the best source.
You need to provide your body with the right vitamins to stay healthy, if you avoid sunlight then you need to get your Vitamin D from Supplements or food. There are some Supplements in the Market that are good and are not expensive, but you need to do you due diligence and research to find that what is good and what is a waste of your money.